A new study by the National Institutes of Health shows that post-partum depression can last several years after the birth of a baby.
Here’s a quick summary:
- The study was conducted by researchers at NIH’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD).
- The study followed 5,000 mothers from across New York state.
- Women were screened at four intervals: 4, 12, 24, and 36 months postpartum.
- 25% of women experienced high levels of depressive symptoms at some point in the three years after giving birth.
- The rest of the women experienced low levels of depression throughout the three-year span.