MMHLA has recently helped develop a directory listing all the psychiatry fellowship programs in North America that focus on reproductive psychiatry and women’s mental health. The directory includes 15 programs in the United States and one in Canada.
Here is a quick summary of the fellowship programs:
Summary of fellowship programs:
- 16 fellowship programs are included (15 in the United States and 1 in Canada).
- The majority of programs accommodate one fellow. Six programs can accommodate two or more
- Most programs accept MD/DO postgraduates, but one program (Case Western) also accepts nurse
- Most programs are 1 year in length with some 2-year programs or programs with optional
- All programs except The Motherhood Center in New York City are based in hospitals or academic
- The oldest program was launched in 2002 (University of Illinois). Half the programs have been
established in the last five years, with two programs added in 2020 (The Motherhood Center,
University of Washington).
- Programs are spread across the country, with groupings in metropolitan New York City (4), Chicago
(3), and Boston (2). Notably there are no formal fellowship programs in California, which accounts
for over 10% of births in the United States each year.