While mental health issues are the MOST COMMON complications of pregnancy and childbirth — affecting approximately 1 in 5 women during pregnancy or the first year after being pregnant – these illnesses are often undiagnosed and untreated.
The list at right is not meant to be all-inclusive but rather a starting place for finding resources for women and families affected by maternal mental health challenges.
Postpartum Support International (PSI) is the world’s leading organization in advocating and educating about maternal mental health issues and providing support to women and families affected by these illnesses.
Support to women and families includes:
- Toll-free telephone number (1-800-944-4773) to get basic information, support, and resources.
- Free weekly call-in and online support sessions.
- Coordinators and/or chapters in all 50 states to provide connections to local resources.
- Peer mentor program, which pairs moms (and dads) in need of support with a trained volunteer who has experienced and fully recovered from a maternal mental health disorder.
- Specialized resources for fathers, military mothers, women experiencing psychosis, and women who are incarcerated.
U.S. Perinatal Inpatient Psychiatry Programs
North Carolina: Chapel Hill, NC
UNC Perinatal Psych Inpatient Unit
New York: Glen Oaks, NY
Northwell Health Perinatal Psychiatry Service
Intensive Outpatient and Partial Hospitalization Perinatal Psychiatry Programs
- Los Angeles: UCLA CA Resnick/Maternal Mental Health Program
- Mountain View: El Camino Hospital Maternal Outreach Mood Services (MOMS)
- Newport Beach: Hoag Hospital Maternal Mental Health Clinic
- Pasadena: Huntington Memorial Hospital Maternal Wellness Program
- San Diego: UC San Diego Maternal Mental Health Program
- Grand Rapids: Pine Rest Mother and Baby Program
- Brooklyn Park: PrairieCare
- Eden Prairie: Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. Mother Baby Intensive Outpatient Program
- Minneapolis: Hennepin Mother-Baby Day Hospital
- New York City: The Motherhood Center of New York
- Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties: Perinatal Psychiatry Services at The Zucker Hillside Hospital and South Oaks Hospital
- Philadelphia: Drexel University Mother Baby Connections Intensive Outpatient Program
- Pittsburgh: Aleixis Joy D’Achille Center for Women’s Behavioral Health (West Penn Hospital, Allegheny Health Network)
- Providence: Brown University / Women & Infants Hospital
- Riverton and Payson: Serenity Recovery and Wellnes
- Salt Lake City: St. Marks Outpatient Perinatal Program
- South Jordan: Reach Counseling Utah.com